How to configure your browser to user a proxy server
Proxy servers act as intermediaries between user's browser and the web servers, in most cases they are used to keep us anonymous while we surf the internet by hiding our IP Address. To use a free Proxy server you must know the IP Address and port. In case it is not free you must have a valid username and password.
So let’s say that you have a proxy server with IP address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and port 8080 and you want to configure your browser to use it.
Proxy configuration for Internet explorer 6
- Click on Tools menu -> Internet Options tab -> Lan Settings button
- Check the Use a proxy server for your LAN
- In box Address enter the IP Address of your proxy server
- In Box Port enter the port of proxy server (for our example 8080)
- Click OK to close the LAN Settings dialog box.
- Click OK again to close the Internet Options dialog box.
Proxy configuration for Internet Explorer 5
- Open windows Control Panel
- Open Internet
- Click the Connections tab, click LAN Settings button, and select Use Proxy Server check box.
- In box Address enter the IP Address of proxy server, use the following format http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xx
- Click Advanced, in the Servers area type the ip address and port of your server in the following format http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080
Proxy configuration Firefox
- Click on Tools menu
- Click Options and then select Advanced tab
- Click Settings
- Select Manual proxy configuration, enter your proxy ip address in HTTP Proxy box and the proxy’s port in Port box
- Click OK to close Connection Settings dialog box
- Click OK to close Options box
Proxy configuration Chrome
- Right click on chrome shortcut and then click Properties
- In Target box, after the chrome.exe” add a white space and add the following parameter
Where ipaddress and port is your proxy server’s address and port)
So your must have something similar to
"C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --proxy-server="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8080"